MOTHER OCEAN, SALMON-SPIRIT
May 21 - June 21, 2015
This painting journey will lead our hearts to follow the River down to 'Our Mother Ocean', for a deep healing communion with her and the 5 pacific wild Salmon species on the Northwest Coast.
If the Ocean Mother
arose before you
lifting her seismic girth
to sit, cradled by valley,
exhaling to spread out over the plains
but for only a few moments
If, in all her billions of years
and trillions of life forms within,
she could but flicker an eye for you,
and open her heart
and her mouth to speak
What would you need to hear?
I turn to her like I turn to my mother
for comfort, cleansing and conditioning
I turn to her for constancy
and for rhythm and for rocking
I turn to the Mother when I have
no where else to turn
when humanity disappoints
as her depths are the only
as dark, serene, and unexplored
as the cosmos
This time of great change
brings the need for great guidance.
She asks us to quiet
and to listen
there is wisdom in waves
There is comfort, constancy and cleansing
in her tidal embrace
and direction in her breeze
A mother to her crying babe,
I will always be here for you.
-Crystal Charlotte Easton
We will be painting to help spawn a SUSTAINABLE, LOCAL culture that places extreme value on Salmon and the eco-systems that they support...
- Salmon are CENTRAL to indigenous cultural practices on the Northwest Coast, as most cultural activity surrounds our food and food production support systems. There are Salmon Ceremonies, Salmon dances, Salmon prayers, blessings, offerings and songs, Salmon seasons, Salmon regalia, Salmon Clans, … I cant imagine any of these becoming 'Salmon Mournings' … can you?
- Salmon offer us enormous life-wisdom by studying, even briefly, their life cycles.
- Salmon are a CRITICAL part of the path to sustainability, if we take care of them properly, with a clean & whole-ecosystem approach, they feed us AND our precious animal-relations…
- Because its going to be CRAZY fun!
Is this for you??
This painting project is for people who:
- Love to paint
- Respect & admire images of the Sacred Feminine
- Would like to try painting with an online guide
- Wish to art-express Honour & Gratitude for Salmon & our Mother Earth
- Wish to contribute to the 'Pulling Together' Campaign through art
What you will need:
- Acrylic Paint
- Canvas or another good flat surface to paint upon
- Water, from your local water source
- some red thread, to participate in the red-thread opening (online) ceremony
Are you Ready to Paint for Salmon with me?
Price: $128 **
Would you prefer to make 3 payments? NO PROBLEM.
Join me to Paint the Sacred Feminine- Our Mother Ocean,
holding up the five Salmon Species in the West-coast way...
Crystal Charlotte Easton was born and raised in the northern village of Fort St.James, BC. Her paternal grandmother, Betty Easton, began nurturing her creativity when she was old enough to hold a brush, a pencil, or a needle and thread. A product of mixed-heritage Cree, Dene, Metis, Scottish and Danish influence, Crystal's art combines her Ancestries to describe the quality of peace she envisions for her communities. Crystal completed a BA degree in First Nations Studies in 2007, complemented with 3 years of study in foundations of Visual Art; She awakened to her responsibility as an artist while studying the historical and cultural chasms she witnessed within herself, her family and her village. In 2010, after a period of front-line work and consequent illness, Crystal joined a growing online network of visionary female artists "the Cosmic Cowgirls", and discovered a way to heal herself and her beloveds through Art and Intentional Creativity. Crystal now teaches Art as a medicine-path for self-healing, and raises her large 'Brady-bunch' family on an urban farm in Snu Ney Muxw traditional territory, Nanaimo, BC.